Tuesday 9 June 2015

closing car doors and classical conditioning

Yesterday morning, while doing some stuff at home, I heard a few car doors close outside, and caught myself feeling instantly happy - almost expecting something awesome to happen. That's when I realized that my reaction was just the result of years of classical conditioning as a child. Whenever I heard multiple car doors close, I knew that visitors had arrived - most of the time for a whole day of merriment - which usually included a braai (BBQ), playing with friends and swimming till after sunset. 

The image that came to mind, was that of the house we lived in when I was in primary school.  Weird how this conditioning continues, even though I've heard many car doors close after the age of 13 - most of them with gloomier connotations - weird people showing up at our door step, my sister's boyfriends coming to visit or the crazy lady down the street coming to chat to my mom about all kinds of crazy things.

Have you noticed any sounds (or songs) or even smells, that trigger a certain feeling or emotion in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment